Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Few Thoughts Before Departure

Buna ziua,

I'm not sure what time it is in Romania right now, but it's a little past midnight in Orange City. It's pretty quiet in the computer lab in the basement of Hospers, except for the freshmen playing 4-square above our heads. Everything's packed, and I'm hoping neither my suitcase nor my backpack weighs more than 50 pounds. I should be in bed, but I couldn't resist the urge to put a few of my thoughts into writing.

For quite possibly the first time in my life - certainly the first time in a long, long time - I feel like a Hobbit. Not Frodo or Sam or even Merry or Pippin. I feel like Bilbo.

For those of you who haven't read The Hobbit or heard about it from any of my fellow Lord of the Rings fanatics, the story is about a little fellow by the name of Bilbo Baggins who finds himself thrust into a grand adventure with a group of Dwarves led by Thorin Oakenshield and accompanied by Gandalf the Grey. Bilbo at first doesn't want anything to do with adventures or excitement of any kind, but he is given a "nudge out of the door" by Gandalf, and, in spite of himself, there is a part of him that longs for adventure. He goes on to become the hero of the group, rescuing his companions several times and, finally, facing a dragon on his own.

Now, I'm not expecting to fight dragons or giant spiders or find a ring that makes me invisible. But, at the moment, I am feeling a little in over my head. Like I don't know quite what I've gotten myself into. I'm surrounded not by dwarves, but by upperclassmen who have a couple more years of college under their belts than I do. It's a little overwhelming, but, at the moment, the "Tookish" part of me, if you will, is winning out. I'm excited for the adventure that's coming, whatever it may hold.

It's late, and I need to get some sleep if I'm going to be at all coherent when we start loading at 7:00. But I'd just like to say multumesc (thank you) to everyone who, like Gandalf, has given me little nudges that have gotten me here. My mom and dad. My sister, Ruth. My roommate, Christine. My priest at home, Father Jeremy. And so many other people who encouraged me to take that step out of my door. Because, as we all know, "It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Please pray for good weather and a safe flight, and that we may all go into this adventure with open minds and open hearts.

Godspeed,
Beth

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a beautiful post :). I love the part about LOTR!! Just letting you guys know we are praying for you all, and I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!! It brings tears to my eyes to know you guys are there. Be a blessing, as you will be amply blessed!

Anonymous said...

Chels, love your comment! ;) And miss you like crazy...
Beth... I just read your posts backwards, but just wanted to let you know, I really enjoy your writing. KEEP posting updates like this while you're there and throughout your adventure. It'll be great to adventure with you. ;)
And, dude, I think I really need to read LOTR... I've only seen the movies... I really like those quotes and stories you shared from it! :) Anyhoo, I REALLY gotta go now. Oh, and by the way - I said I graduated 2 years ago in my last comment... it was actually '08 - only 1.25 years ago... feels like longer in many ways... Enough of my rambling! :) Looking forward to reading more!