Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Romania in a Snapshot

For all you people out there who are considering coming to Romania please do. The country has so much to offer, the people are extremely loving, the food is great, the mountains are breathtaking, and through the work of FNO (Fundatia Noi Orizonturi)the country is changing person by person. The Northwestern-FNO partnership has created an experience that has forever changed my life, and hopefully will change yours as well. So once again, please come as God will use this experience to open your eyes to our calling as his creation, and you will be changed forever.

Before leaving Romania to come back to NWC there have been many things rushing through my mind. I am going to address some of these things below with pictures.

During my time spent in Romania I have seen a lot of contrasting images like something beautiful right beside something a lot less beautiful. You find little things beside big things, beautiful new houses beside old falling apart houses, and sweet new cars driving on roads that definitely need improvement. You see old rattly trains riding on the same tracks as new luxurious trains, ruins of Communist bloc apartments beside new modern buildings, and local piaţas (like a farmer's market) in the shadow of new western-style grocery stores. Here in the Jiu Valley the majestic mountains compete for height with the looming communist era unused smoke stack. The contrasting and almost contradictory images are countless. So, to get a better idea of this, here are some pictures.


This picture was taken on our trip to Corvin's Castle/Hunyad Castle. It was built in the 14th century, and is located in Hunedoara, RO. This castle has appeared in many films and is known to be unique due to its many different styles of architecture (Gothic, renaissance, neogothic and baroque).



This picture of an old deserted communist era bridge was taken on our train ride back into Lupeni over fall break. The bridge and other desolate buildings are hidden by bloc apartments and other newer buildings. Seems to be a hidden yet constant reminder of the past.


A picture of the Jiu Valley taken from the top of the mine shaft in Lupeni. We are looking east towards Vulcan and Petroşani.


On a beautiful Sunday night Michelle and I went on a hike with Michelle's host family, the Vlaicus, to their friend Nalush's shepherd hut. Nalush taught me how to milk sheep. Romanians use sheep milk to make their favorite salt cheese called brinza.


A picture of our group during our Retezat backpacking trip. While others have already written about this I will reinforce that it was awesome.

I snapped this one of Mirela, my host mom (sister). For our last meal at the house we had chicken and sheep cooked the traditional way over the fire. It was absolutely delicious.

I chose these pictures in hopes of giving you a little better understanding of what things are like here. I am so thankful for this experience in Romania. I have made friends and memories, and have grown in my mindset in regards to how I view the world and my place in it. We are leaving Lupeni in two days and while we are coming home it feels like we are also leaving home. I look forward to the day when I can hopefully come back.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Dew said...

Ok... so I randomly found your blog I don't exactly how but I'm glad I did! I'm an American currently living in Lupeni and I'm so sad we didn't cross paths... it's sure small enough to! I've just read through a few of your post and got excited to relate to someone about my experiences here as well! I came alone so it's neat to hear another person's outside perspective! Thanks for sharing!