Monday, October 31, 2011

Catch Up #1 From Sarah Simmons

Hello Blogging World!

This is Sarah Simmons signing in for a couple blogposts. I’ve been keeping my own blog (kind-of) up to date since the beginning of our Romanian adventure. So I’m going to summarize what I’ve already written. Do enjoy. :)



August 25, 2011

Waking to the Barking of Dogs

Bună ziua from Lupeni!

This morning was my first look at Lupeni in daylight (we arrived last night after sunset). And let me tell you, it is beautiful.

Our apartment looks out over the mountains to the North, and the main street to the South. As dogs bark almost without ceasing, the people of Lupeni go about their daily activities: doing business on the street, sawing, pounding, driving to and fro, and maybe going to the Orthodox Church that can be seen from our balcony.

Now I’ll give you a brief summary of what we’ve done since arriving in Romania on Monday:

We all arrived safely in Bucureşti and immediately got in vehicles to head to Sanaia for a couple days. On Tuesday we were able to visit the Peleş (Pelesh) Castle. This castle housed the first king of Romania: King Carol from Germany. It is ornately decorated down to the minute detail, and in many different styles: German, Italian, Turkish, Bohemian, and even Chinese and Japanese.

Wednesday was yet another day of travel. To get from Sanaia to Lupeni is an all day affair, especially with nine college-age women and two children under the age of seven. But we broke it up with a visit to the Reşnov (Reshnov) Citadel. It was amazing to see such history under our very feet.

There is so much about Romania that I have yet to learn. It’s history, culture, language, geography, humor… And I’m so excited to get started.

Va Pup!
(I Kiss You All!)

Sarah Jean



September 2, 2011

From the Mountain Peak

Yesterday I climbed a mountain.

Vorbesc Serios (I’m serious). I climbed Straja Peak yesterday. It is the first mountain under my belt, and it won’t be the last. Yes folks, I believe I have caught the mountain climbing bug.

But before I go off on a rant about the stunning beauty of mountains, let me catch you up to speed on what I’ve been doing since my last update:

Thursday through Sunday (25-28) was spent getting familiar with my new hometown of Lupeni. Kadie sent us on a treasure hunt to find all of the essential places for survival: i.e. the super market, the park, the Maxi Taxi stops, the ATM, the Post Office. To help us get around in Lupeni and communicate with the locals, we had a short language class with our teacher, Iuliana (like Juliana but with the “y” sound at the beginning). Kadie and Alice decided to give us some hands-on experience at living in Lupeni by letting us nine girls buy food for and construct menus for our time in Straja.

That brings me to my next point! Sunday we went up to Straja to go through a mock week of the Viaţă summer camp. We spent Sunday night through Thursday (September 1) up on Straja. Monday and Tuesday were both days for us girls to go through the high and low ropes elements on the side of the mountain. Us nine girls grew closer as a team, learning to trust each other in all aspects of our lives. Then on Wednesday, youth from IMPACT groups in Petraşani and Uricani came up to have one day at Viaţă. Therefore student became teacher. It was a nerve-wracking experience that I wouldn’t trade for the world.

Thursday brought much beauty from the top of Straja Peak; but also much anticipation at the prospect of being dispersed all across Lupeni before the sun set.

All I’ll say for now is that my host family is wonderful. I have a mother (Anca) a father (Alex) and two brothers (Timotei [Timothy] – 4 ½ and Matei [Matthew] – 1 year and eight months). We are going to have a blast at trying to communicate with each other. Many smiles, laughs, and scuze-mă’s will be in order.

I Love You All Foarte Mult (Very Much)

Sarah Jean



No comments: