Sunday, December 4, 2011

I'm a wannabe farm girl


Being in Romania has brought about many experiences and memories, some of the best ones come from the good ole host family! When I first arrived at my host families house I was excited to see that it was a farm! They had cows, chickens, dogs, a cat and lots of produce! From my time on this Romanian farm, I remember 4 things specifically. Some of my favorite days were those when I was able to help my family pick prunes and apples. It was like I was able to bond with them in a new way even if we weren't speaking to each other. I really felt like part of the family in those moments. Another thing that I will remember is taking our cow on a walk. It sounds crazy right! I mean most people take their dogs on walks.... but no in Romania, its all about the cows! Ha! My host mom opened the gate led the cow to the door and we began to walk down the gravel, leaf covered road. My host mom and I walked the cow to the pasture and left it there, trusting that it would find its way home. Sure enough, about 20 minutes later the cow was mooing at the door! It was so crazy and hilarious! Another memory from my host father was that he would also wink and give me high fives. That is, when he wasn't working on the twica.... Every day that I would come back from school I would ask him how his day was and he said... I worked on the twica! Finally I came home one day and it was finished! I asked what he was going to do now that it was done! He laughed and said, I live on a farm, there is always more work to do. The last, but most memorable was when I was able to milk our cow.... oh wow! I was planning on doing it in my own clothes and shoes, but they insisted that I wear my host mom's milking clothes.... so I obeyed. I remember walking into the stall and having mixed emotions. I watched as my dad demonstrated how to gently grab the utter and squeeze out the milk. It was my turn... I sat down and grabbed the utter, it was slimy and a little sticky, I was shocked, but I didn't mind. After a few tries I actually got pretty good at it! My family thought it was really funny that I even wanted to do it, but it made me feel really cool, and more like the farm girl I dream of being! :)