Friday, November 14, 2008

Heading Home



As the semester is coming to an end, things are starting to wrap up. Our final project is done, all of our presentations are finished, and two of our classes have been completed. This only leaves us with a couple of papers to write before we board our plane home. This realisation has led me to reflect upon what an awesome experience it has been to live here in Romania.

It is sad to think about saying goodbye to the people whom we have built relationships with, the beautiful sights we have seen, and this place that we have called home for the last three months. However, it is also exciting to think about how we can take what we have learned through this experience, and apply it to our lives back home. Hopefully, this experience will not only affect our own lives, but empower us to make a difference in other people’s lives through the concepts and ideas that we have formed while over here.

Living in Romania has not only taught me about Romanian culture, but has also taught me more about North American culture, and has allowed me to see my own culture in a different light. So now when I go home and am immersed in my own culture again, things will not be quite the same. That is the beauty of experiencing another culture for a while; Your horizons become broadened in a way that can never be reversed.

So when I board that plane for home on December 1st , I will definitely be feeling mixed emotions. Another chapter of my life will be ending. I will be leaving with some pictures and a few souvenirs, however most importantly I will be leaving with a new worldview.

So to those who may ask me when I get home, whether I would do this again, my answer to them will be, “Definitely”. I think that everyone should have the opportunity to experience a different culture at one time or another, and I’m extremely grateful that I have had the opportunity to spend this past semester living here in Romania.
In Christ,
Solita






No comments: