Monday, November 3, 2008

Two Languages, One Understanding

I have been in Romania for two months now and I love it. I am grateful for everything I have been able to experience and learn and grow from. One of my favorite experiences has been teaching English lessons to Romanian kids from the IMPACT groups. I have always had a love of teaching children, so I was excited to be able to do this with the children of Romania who I knew would also be teaching me something in the process.
The first night I planned on just talking with the kids in English and getting to know them better as individuals and also as children who grew up in Romania. Some of the kids were shy, while others were outgoing, but I did notice some similarities among the group. Everybody seemed to be in agreement that they did not like living in Romania and particularly in Lupeni. They said there was not much for them to do and not many opportunities for them. A boy named Peter talked about how he wanted to become a police officer after high school, but that it will be very hard to be able to go to a police acadamy. Some other boys were saying how most children in Lupeni always stay here because they are poor and do not have the chance to leave and do more with their life. This made me feel guilty for all the opportunities I have gotten in my life.
The following weeks I have been teaching them English, how to form sentences, and grammar. It has been a great experience. Most of them seem eager to learn and I love being able to teach them the rules and concepts of the English language and them understanding it the majority of the time. Through this experience we have all gotten to know each other a lot better. We talk about things such as music, school, our homes and through this I find that even though there are differences between us there are also a lot of similarities. These kids have the desire to learn and experience a lot and I am so glad and thankful to be a part of it. Even though they haven't had the easiest lives they still have this fun, loveable energy that is contagious. Every time I go to class I am reminded how it is possible to make any situation a positive one and I have tried to live by this idea here in Romania.







No comments: