Saturday, September 5, 2009

Staying in the Yellow Zone

Here in Romania, I have been introduced to a concept of three different zones that a person can experience. One can be in what's called "the green zone" or the comfort zone where things are very comfortable and natural. For me, this would be like eating chocolate ice cream on a warm summer day. Then there is "the yellow zone", which is like the challenge zone. I might experience this when I do a three hour hike in the mountains. It is a challenge, yet I still feel fairly safe doing it. The last zone is "the red zone", or the panic zone. This is a place that I would rather not be! I would panic if I were alone and came across a bear or if I were being served only tomatoes and cheese all semester long! These three zones somewhat put into perspective a person's limits, and they help me to better understand my own feelings and limits as well. Since being here in Romania, I have definitely experienced the yellow zone. I have really begun to understand what my "comforts" are. I have missed clean clothes, normal showers with shower curtains, soft toilet paper, and a comfy bed. I miss my comfortable foods such as cereal, orange juice, sandwiches, salads with lettuce, desserts, and peanut butter. I do miss the English language. I am out of my comfort zone and in the yellow zone not because of the fact that I am in a different country, but because of the little things....the little comforts that I so take for granted that make life a little better. Being here is a challenge, but I knew it would be. Now I am ready to find ways to overcome these issues. I want to learn from these challenges and really appreciate everything I have. Romanians are very hospitable people, and they love to serve. I feel very welcome here....it will just take some getting used to, as it is with any new place. And, there is ice cream here in Romania so that definitely puts me in the green zone at times!

Daniel and Janelle, our program administrators, would like to keep us in the "yellow zone" as much as possible. This is where we will be stretched, challenged, and find growth in a healthy and safe way. I fully agree with their statement of "staying in the yellow zone", and I know that there will be many more challenges ahead, but God will never give us more than we can handle. It is a pretty awesome feeling to wake up every morning and think, "Yes, I am in Romania. I wonder what I will experience today?"

No comments: